Update August 8th, 2015: Blog post and video covering all the options available for RMS users related to EMV: http://retailpospondering.blogspot.com/2015/06/options-for-microsoft-dynamics-rms-and.html
Update June 28th, 2015 - special discount and incentive from a national NCR CounterPoint Partner for RMS and HQ users: http://retailpospondering.blogspot.com/2015/06/big-discount-and-incentive-for.html
Update June 13th, 2015: A quick note that I have been receiving multiple calls and emails from Microsoft Dynamics RMS users looking to replace RMS due to the upcoming October 1st, 2015 EMV liability shift deadline as well as the "end of life" status for Dynamics RMS and HQ. I have personal experience with RMS users upgrading to NCR CounterPoint and would be happy to share - just visit my contact page for information on how to reach me. I can also put you in touch with a trusted NCR CounterPoint SQL partner.
Update January 1st, 2015:
At this point RMS and HQ users will need to pay to use a third party software applications in order to use EMV hardware and comply with the US EMV liability shift date of October 2015. Please also keep in mind that Microsoft RMS and HQ are end of life so now might be a good time to look at alternative point of sale systems like Retail Essentials or similar.
Confused? Contact me for more information.
Update 9/23/2014: In case you missed my other RMS related posts, Microsoft announced that mainstream support and sales of RMS to new users will end in July 2016. The other issue of bigger concern is that Microsoft has made no announcement related to whether RMS will be updated to work with EMV hardware and the date for EMV compliance in the US is Oct. 2015. As much as I have enjoyed working with RMS over the years, it is time for everyone to start making plans for RMS alternatives.
You can always contact me directly for more information and free advice as needed - I've already spoken with well over 400 businesses and organizations already related to what some possible options are.
I worked with the Microsoft Dynamics RMS Store Operations (RMS) software extensively over the last decade - including multiple installations of RMS HQ. Here are my thoughts on RMS:
- Very easy to learn and use
- Very easy to modify or use add-ons for special functions
- Stable and quick interface
- Extremely cost effective compared to other point of sale software programs
- Large user base
- Low ongoing annual costs to keep the software updated
- Easy upgrade to multi-location "HQ" interface
- Technology is getting outdated
- Somewhat flexible hardware options
- Reporting interface can be confusing
- Touch screen interface is limited
- HQ interface technology is getting outdated and does take time to learn and use
- Basic update was just released in Dec 2013
- Won't know until April 2014 what the future holds for the 38000+ businesses using this software
- Better communication from Microsoft
- Sales and mainstream support for RMS and HQ end in July 2016. Extended support ends on July 2021.
- Costs related to using RMS with payment gateways in order to accept chip based credit and debit cards in order to meet the October 1st, 2015 EMV Liability Shift Date in the US for card present transaction.
The RMS/HQ has accounted for nearly 70% of all the solutions that I have provided over the last 14 years. I really like the affordability of the program, the feature set, and ease of use. However, until Microsoft provides more guidance on the future of RMS, I can not recommend the software to anyone at this point.
Visit my contact page for information on how to reach me.