- Make sure that all of your data has been backed up online or to a device that you can take with you (like a flash drive or removable drive). Back up the data multiple ways if possible
- If you are using a cloud based POS system like Cloud Retailer - backups are done automatically for you and are safe at a secure facility 1000+ miles away from Florida.
- Batch and close out the pos system
- Close out of all your software
- Power down all hardware
- Power down all related equipment like surge/power strips, routers, payment terminals, etc
- Ensure that you have documentation (like receipts and invoices) and pictures of all your technology equipment for insurance purposes
- Ensure that you have any cd’s or dvd’s that came with the hardware and software
- As time permits, and as needed, document how all the cables are connected via pictures or even different colored twist ties attached to each of the cables
- Disconnect all technology equipment and related documentation, and move above the water line or to a secure offsite location (be sure to move carefully and store in a way not to cause damage)
Taking the above steps will help protect your point of sale system and related data.
If any of us at RITE can be of assistance, please call us at 888-267-7483. You can also reach me directly at 208-340-5632.