- Try to save money by buying from multiple vendors (one place for the barcode scanner, a different place for the computer, and a different place for the software). You will pay more in the long run – both in time and money. Think of receipt printer that stops working - who is going to help you fix it if you bought the receipt printer from one company and the point of sale software from a different company.
- Not taking the time to learn the system through formalized or online training. Think of the VCR/DVR that blinks “12:00” – taking a few minutes to read the manual would allow the VCR/DVR to be used for automatic recording and other functions since the clock is correctly set.
- Not investing time to fully use the systems functions. Will eventually become an expensive cash register.
- Over or under-buying. Remember, you are purchasing something that should last the next 7+ years.
- Not factoring long term costs. Ie. HarborTouch is 'free' but you will pay $5040 in monthly charges over 7 years.
- Being forced to use a single company for merchant services which costs an average business around $1750/year in additional fees (Intuit and HarborTouch)
Are you in the US and in need of no cost retail point of sale advice? I'm happy to help and can be reached on my cell at 208-340-5632 (mountain time) or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.