I've had the opportunity in the past to provide point of sale systems to both local customers and customers 3000 miles away. My personal preference is to always try and find a local company that can provide you with a point of sale system. After all, your business likely relies on local customers so you should also support local businesses as well (don't be a hypocrite or word will get out and your business will suffer). That being said, here are some factors that may cause you to choose not to purchase a point of sale system from a local company:
- No local company in your area or the local companies don't offer point of sale solutions for your type of business
- You are comfortable with remote support and training
- Local point of sale company has a poor reputation
- You have only basic technology needs
- You have the time and commitment (and technical knowledge) to do some of the setup work yourself
- You have 'in house' IT staff
Why you would want to work with a local point of sale company:
- Are in need of a complex solution
- Want in person training, setup, and ongoing support
- Have high technology needs
- No 'in house' IT staff and no interest in being an IT person
- Like the idea of working with someone 'face to face'
Note that price really isn't a factor as, over the course of 5-7 years, the costs are going to be the same whether you buy locally or non-locally.
The above are just some basic thoughts. There are also times were we have traveled onsite to get the system up and running or even outsourced a local IT person and guided them through the setup process (it pays to be creative).
Please visit my contact page for information on how to reach me.