"As of June 30, 2017, compliance will be enforced for all merchant and ATM locations identified as not properly accepting a 2 series BIN card. In the event of an acceptance failure, customers will be notified and granted an opportunity to remediate the identified issue. Noncompliance assessments may be applied if the acceptance issue is not successfully resolved.".
Please ensure that you have done the following:
- Confirm that your payment terminals have been updated to accept the 2 BIN cards (Card Defender users need not worry as Card Defender is updated to accommodate new payment industry security requirements and mandates).
- If you have a point of sale system, confirm with your point of sale provider that the software can handle the 2 BIN cards.
- Review any letters or emails from your merchant services company that may contain additional requirements or possible fines for non-compliance.
- If you are orphaned or need help, contact myself or your merchant services company for assistance. I'm not familiar with every POS system or stand alone payment terminal but can usually direct you to the correct resources if myself or our tech team is not able to help you.
- For some of you, this may be enough of an issue that you may want to consider the replacement of an outdated point of sale system and/or outdated payment processing hardware.
Some additional information can be found via this 2 BIN webpage: https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/issuers/get-support/2-series-bin-expansion.html
Final Thought: the payment industry is introducing new mandates and security requirements on a regular basis (8 digit BIN's are being discussed as a next standard). Please ensure that you are investing in something (hardware and software) that can be updated to meet or exceed future mandates and security requirements.