Square, which is popular with very small businesses (under $60,000/year in gross sales), does have a sign up form for those using Square as well as some general information on EMV. No word yet on whether the new EMV hardware will be free or will have to be purchased. Here is a link to the the Square sign up form to be notified when EMV hardware for Square will become available: https://squareup.com/emv
As a side note, anyone thinking about purchasing a point of sale system should be asking about EMV. It makes no sense to purchase a point of sale system now and then have to spend more money in 2015 for EMV hardware. If the place that you are working with doesn't have a solid answer then that is a major warning sign that their solution may not be the best solution for you and your business or organization.
All point of sale companies should be able to tell you the following regarding their point of sale systems and EMV:
- Will a software/app update be required and will there be any costs?
- When will any EMV software/app updates be available?
- Which EMV products (ie. readers or terminals by name and model number) will the software/app work with?
- When will the hardware be available?
- What will be the hardware costs?
- Are there any other costs (ie. labor to help with the upgrade or changing my merchant account information)?
- Will I still be able to use my existing merchant account?
Again, if you can't get a definitive answer for the above questions, then you may want to talk to a point of sale company that can provide you with the answers.
Please visit my contact page for information on how to reach me.
Post a Comment